When Kristina Halvorson wrote The Discipline of Content Strategy six years ago, she basically invented an industry – and it’s thriving today.
Content matters. You can have a beautiful site with professionally designed graphics, but if your content sucks then so does your website.
The web is content. Content is the web. It deserves our time and attention.
Have you ever hired a web designer to spruce up your site with bells and whistles and graphics and then the content was thrown in at the last minute, as if it were an afterthought? Content comes first. It’s the elephant in the room.
Halvorson’s points may seem obvious, but they are often overlooked. If you’re not identifying and implementing the following, then you don’t have a content strategy:
- Editorial strategy – assess customer needs as related to business requirements
- Web writing – create useful, usable content that is intended for online publication and reflects the voice of your company
- Metadata (data about data) strategy – identify and structure your content so that it can be used and re-used in meaningful ways.
- Search engine optimization (SEO) – can customers find you?
- Content management strategy – use the right technology and well-trained staff to create, publish, and store your content.
- Content channel distribution strategy – define how and where content will be made available. e.g. go beyond the web with email marketing to drive traffic.
Lunasa Media specializes in content strategy for the web and your business deserves to shine from within. Contact us today so we can work together to create a website that shines well beyond the flashy photos and graphics.